Thursday, January 7, 2010

from Adam Humphreys
to "inn"
date Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 11:34 AM
subject (person's name) / Tree Planting / Franz Otto Ultimate Highballer / My Wedding

12/24/09 (15 days ago)

I am a New York based writer / filmmaker who earns a living by planting trees in the summer in British Columbia Canada.

In my life I have planted over 500,000 trees by hand.

I keep a blog that is a bit of a production diary and a bit of a personal thing. Recently someone from your area called me and read about my film "Franz Otto Ultimate Highballer". He became interested in the project, and was kind enough to give me some contact information for reforestation stuff around your area.

He told me that you, Richard Gere, had recently cut some three hundred trees in a nearby wetland and that you were under pressure to replant them, and that, in his opinion, the person who would be lined up to do that kind of job in your area was going to charge you too much, and was not going to do a good job.

I am writing you, Richard Gere, to offer you my services as a reforestation expert (some would say one of the fastest planters in Canada), to help you re-plant the areas you've logged.

I will do it for free, provided you pay the costs of materials. I can plant 300 trees in around 40 minutes depending on the land.

To me, the prospect of perhaps you helping me to find proffessional help in completing my film, my desire to personally meet you (you seem like a really good guy), the novelty of planting trees in New York, and other considerations would be compensation enough.

What's more, I think my film project has intangible merit, and think you would really like it, and could maybe get wrapped up a little bit in the excitement. It concerns a Paul Bunyan like figure in Canada, a reclusive legendary folk hero guy and my search for him. In a more broad sense it is about imagination and storytelling, trying to be a good person in the world, trying to make a difference, "counter-culture", being an artist, etc.

Also, I don't know if you do weddings at the [INN OWNED BY RICHARD GERE], but I am getting married next fall and am looking for a venue. If you felt bad accepting free labor and wanted to arrange a trade for some "space time" that would suit me very well.

Damn, this email is long.

I will attach a picture of me, a picture of my fiance, and the only pre-existing public image of Franz Otto.

1. POV video of me planting trees
2. Franz Otto Ultimate Highballer on facebook


Hope this finds you well.

Adam Humphreys

347-623-1258
414 Greene Ave,
Brooklyn NY
11216